August 29, Kathmandu. Dr.Govinda KC who has been making various demands for medical education reform has started a hunger strike in Jumla. He told online news that he started his hunger strike from 2 pm on Monday with a six-point demand.
He demanded that the MBBS program should be started at Karnali Institute of Health Sciences, use of masks and social distance should be made mandatory.
KC has demanded to investigate and take legal action against the culprits of the state Laxmi Golchha bribery scandal, Oil Corporation land purchase scandal, wide-body scandal, security press purchase scandal, Durbar Marg land scandal, Omni Group drug procurement scandal and all major corruption scandals and Baluwatar land scandal.
Stating that the culprits of these cases have been acquitted without taking any action at the behest of the government, KC has demanded to investigate and take action against the retiring and retired commissioners as per the law. KC has also demanded an investigation into the money laundering of the commissioner of the authority and those involved in other corruption scandals.
KC has accused the state administration and people close to him of being involved in corruption even when the people were starving during the epidemic. “Therefore, we have no choice but to fight even in the current epidemic,” he said.
His demands are:
1. Programs including MBBS should be conducted in Karnali Institute of Health Sciences with immediate infrastructure and manpower. Getta Medical College and Rapti Institute of Health Sciences should start teaching with infrastructure and manpower as soon as possible. The process of establishing government medical colleges in Province No. 2, Gandaki Province, Doti and Dadeldhura, Udaipur and Ilam or Panchthar should be expedited.
2. Make the use of masks and social distance mandatory, make PCR testing comprehensive, end lockouts and bans. Appropriate treatment should be provided for all patients with COVID and other diseases.
3. The Medical Education Act should be amended as per the agreement reached with us on Shrawan 10 2075.
4. Correct the appointments made in the Institute of Medical Studies on the basis of seniority. Legal arrangements should be made for the appointment of officials in the universities, councils and institutions in a fair and transparent manner as suggested by the Committee for Determining Criteria.
5. Ensure sustainable free service to Bayalpata Hospital by allocating regularly required budget.
6. The perpetrators of the state Laxmi Golchha bribery scandal, Oil Corporation land purchase scandal, wide-body scandal, security press purchase scandal, Durbar Marg land scandal, Omni Group drug procurement scandal and all other major corruption scandals should be investigated and executed according to law. Investigate and take action against the leaders of the ruling party who took criminal advantage in the Baluwatar land scandal. If the culprits of all these cases are acquitted without taking any action at the behest of the authorities, then the restored and retired commissioners of the authority should also be investigated and prosecuted according to the law. A case of money laundering should be filed against all the guilty persons including the commissioner of the authority.