Anger is a normal and healthy emotion like joy and fear that occurs when an individual gets hurt, annoyed or disappointed. However, it’s important to control anger as it’s neither appropriate nor healthy to loose temper. If an individual is unable to control their anger then they may get different health problems such as high blood pressure, heart problems, headache and so on and may get disruption in relationships.
So, here are some tips which can help a person to control their anger:
- Slowly count to ten (or more) Slowly counting to ten (preferably on the head, especially if you are with other people) before saying or doing anything will help you to avoid saying anything you may later regret.
- Practice relaxation techniques Sometimes the reason that you are feeling angry is because you are not taking time to relax. Angry feelings and some of the emotions that come with them can be helped when you use relaxation techniques. For example, deep breathing for a few minutes each day or using imagery to imagine a calm beach or another relaxing place can really help.
- Get some physical exercises Physical activity can help reduce stress that can cause you to become angry. If you feel your anger escalating, go for a walk or run, or spend some time doing other enjoyable physical activities.
- Talk to your friend When you get angry, you may want to find someone who is willing to listen to you and try to understand what is going on in your mind. When a person starts to become angry, they can become incapable of seeing the other side of the problem. Talking with someone else is a good way to help yourself find new ways of viewing a situation.
- Write out the anger If talking to other people just doesn’t work for you, it may be time to consider writing out your feelings to help the anger. When you are feeling angry, you can write your feelings on diary which will help you to feel better, especially if you are not able to find someone who will talk things out with you.
- Don’t hold grudges Forgiveness is a powerful tool. If you allow anger to crowd out positive feelings, you might find yourself swallowed up by your own bitterness. But if you are able to forgive someone who angered you, you might both learn from the situation and strengthen your relationship.
- List things that make you angry If you know the things that frustrate you and make you angry, you may be able to avoid them or do things differently when you’re faced with them.
- Meditation Meditation is one of the most efficient ways to take care of your anger issues. This allows you to take a few minutes to yourself to do some deep breathing, get away from the stresses of your life, and to just get a break for a bit. With meditation, you allow yourself to have about fifteen minutes or more each day to just relax a bit and not have to think about anything other than your breathing and perhaps a mantra of some kind.
- Use humor to defuse situation It is easy to use inappropriate sarcasm when angry; resist the temptation to do this and instead work on introducing some good humor into potentially difficult conversations. If you can do so, resentment will be reduced and your mood lifted.
- Learn to manage your stress levels Being under stress makes it much harder to manage emotions. It is worth looking carefully at your stress levels, and see if you can reduce them at all. There are a few different options that you can pick like yoga, meditation, good exercise, cutting down on the amount of work that you are taking on at the office, and even taking a vacation on occasion. When you can reduce the amount of stress that you are dealing with, you will see a decrease in your levels of anger as well.